African salad is a delicious Nigerian meal that is native to the ndi Igbo (people of Igbo), here is all you need to know about this Nigerian Delicious Dessert and even all the ingredients used in preparing it.
Abacha is prepared with cassava. The cassava tubers are cooked till done then sliced with a special grater. The sliced cassava is then soaked in cold water overnight, washed thoroughly and dried under the sun.
Your African Salad will not be complete without Ugba. Ugba, also known as Ukpaka, is made from oil bean seeds. These seeds are cooked for several hours then sliced, washed and left to ferment a little bit.
Ingredients for Abacha
The following are the complete ingredients you need to make a delicious African Salad. I will group the ingredients for ease. I did not use all these in the video because they are not available where I live.
For African Salad, the more ingredients you use, the tastier and more “complete” it will be. Some people may regard Ugba as optional but for me, it is a must. 🙂
Minimum ingredients for making Abacha (African Salad)
- 3 handfuls abacha
- 2 cups ugba (ukpaka)
- 30 cl red palm oil
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Potash (food tenderizer)
- Fish | Mackerel/Dry Fish/Stockfish
- 1 large Onion
- Salt and dry pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 2 stock cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
- 1 teaspoon ground Ehu seeds (Calabash Nutmeg)
Other seasoning you can add to the Abacha
- 1 teaspoon Ogiri / Iru (traditional Nigerian seasoning that smells like you-know-what lol)
Other meat and vegetables for the Abacha
- 3 Fresh Utazi leaves (Gongronema latifolium)
- Ponmo / Kanda (cow skin)
- Garden Eggs | As much as you can eat
- Garden Egg leaves | 1 medium bunch
- 1 medium onion (for serving)